CCTV footage released of roadworks accidents
By: Kasia Baldwin
22 October 2013
The Highways Agency has just released CCTV footage of some shocking accidents that have occurred within areas where roadworks are taking place.
The purpose of this release is to remind drivers of the need to driver with extra care through roadworks where roads may be narrower and people are working.
The shocking footage shows a car undertaking and pulling out in front of a HGV, which then causes the lorry to swerve and overturn, another shot shows a lorry ploughing into the back of a van at queuing traffic.
Commenting about the need for slowing down and taking more attention, roads minister Robert Goodwill said: "The safety of those who work on our roads is paramount. Saving a few seconds on your journey is simply not worth the cost of the delays caused by these incidents, let alone the devastating impact they can have on lives and families."
Here are the Highway Agency's simple tips for safe roadworks driving:
- Keep within the speed limit – it is there for your safety.
- Get into the correct lane in good time – don’t keep switching.
- Concentrate on the road ahead, not the roadworks.
- Be alert for works traffic leaving or entering roadworks.
- Keep a safe distance – there could be queues in front.
- Observe all signs – they are there to help you.
Top of page